How to unload a module after I've imported it.

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Sep 29 17:16:08 EDT 2007

En Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:32:15 -0300, marvinla <marvinware2005 at gmail.com>
escribi�:

> Have you tried a del?
>
>>> import socket
>>> dir()
> ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'socket']
>>> del socket
>>> dir()
> ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__']

py> import socket
py> del socket
py> import sys
py> sys.modules['socket']
<module 'socket' from 'c:\apps\Python25\lib\socket.pyc'>

del only removes the reference from the current namespace, but the module
is still loaded and available.
del sys.modules['socket'] would remove the module so the next import
statement will have to reload it.

Back to the original question, timeoutsocket replaces some objects in the
socket module with its own versions, just "unloading" timeoutsocket would
not be enough, the changes had to be reverted.

timeoutsocket is an old hack for Python 2.2 and earlier. Since 2.3 you can
achieve the same thing using socket.setdefaulttimeout() so unless you are
forced to use such ancient versions, it can be dropped.

--
Gabriel Genellina