An ordered dictionary for the Python library?

Wed Sep 12 08:42:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:33:45 +0000, Mark Summerfield wrote:

> I feel that Python lacks one useful data structure: an ordered
> dictionary.
>
> I find such data structures v. useful in C++.
[snip]

Personally, I've never missed an ordered dict. What do people use them
for?

In fact, I'm not sure what people mean by ordered dicts. I assume they
mean the keys are ordered, not the values. But ordered by what? Insertion
order? Modification order? Alphabetical order?

--
Steven.