Getting rid of bitwise operators in Python 3?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Sat Sep 22 05:24:54 EDT 2007

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 05:19:42 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> I do.
>
> Your anecdotal evidence is noted and given all the consideration
> it's due.

Being funny, or being arrogant? Many today's network protocols work
with bit flags. It is /not/ anecdotal.

>> I do it all the time.
>
> Anecdotes again.  Do you have any stats on the usage of hardware
> interfacing in Python?  That would be a lot more useful.

You want to take features out just because they are not widely used?
Let's get rid of metaclasses and operator overloading too then.
Let's create special object types for implementing this and pack
them into seperate modules.

>> If you don't want to use the bitwise operations, then ignore
>> them.
>> Presto!  Simpler syntax.
>
> Until people no longer need to read code written by others, this
> argument is utter bull.

What is your goal already? Holy war against usage of bitwise
operators? I can't think of any other reason.

> It's completely besides the point, anyways.  The point is to make
> the language core smaller.  It would shift code implementing
> bitwise logic out the core parts of Python, and localize it in
> modulespace.

And seriously, what is the point of this? Why do you want to enforce
banning bitwise operations?

Regards,

Björn

--