Python syntax wart

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Sep 10 11:46:42 EDT 2007

On Monday, Sep 10th 2007 at 08:34 -0000, quoth Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch:

=>On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:19:08 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
=>
=>> In message <5kkcmvF3vfqqU3 at mid.uni-berlin.de>, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
=>> wrote:
=>>
=>>> I see a tree structure here ...
=>>
=>> Good, you're improving.
=>
=>Thanks.
=>
=>>> ... but still no table.
=>>
=>> Who said anything about a table?
=>
=>Me. If that statement is 2D I expected to see a table structure.  And I
=>don't mean that the source code itself is arranged in lines and columns
=>but that the so called *2D statement* can be seen as table.
=>
=>>> And this is also easily written that way in Python if you don't insist on
=>>> the line break after the ``if`` or can live with backslashes.
=>>
=>> Which is precisely the point.
=>
=>Then is the lack of curly braces also a syntax wart.  Maybe you should
=>switch to a different language or write a preprocessor.

C'mon	give	the
	poor	guy
a		break.

What		did