Getting rid of bitwise operators in Python 3?

david david at nospam.spam
Sun Sep 23 21:47:29 EDT 2007

richyjsm at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sep 22, 7:04 pm, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_... at gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:17:38 +0000, Bryan Olson wrote:
>>> The operator module offers pow(). Is there any good reason for
>>> pow() as a built-in?
>> The `operator.pow()` is  just the function for ``**``, it lacks the
>> optional third argument of the built in `pow()`.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>         Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
>
> But does the three-argument version of pow() really belong in the
> core?  Who uses it?

It was a common cryptographic operation.

The two-argument version is used by the same
person who wrote the semi-colon at the end of
every line of the code I'm working with.

Personally, I'm sorry that 'and' and 'or' weren't
chosen for the bitwise operators: I'd happily give
up 'and' and 'or' for logic operations.

[david]