newbie: self.member syntax seems /really/ annoying

Charles Fox charles.fox at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:05:10 EDT 2007

hmm, I guess this is the difference between numerical programming and
the rest -- sure, if I was writing a database server or something it
would be great to have thisObject.veryLongName to know what everything
is -- however when you are implementing a model from a published
paper, the variables tend to be single greek or roman letter names,
possibly with subscripts and superscripts, and it helps if the name
you see on the screen is the same as the name on the paper, as is the
case in matlab.  You want the equation on screen to look as similar to
the one on the paper as possible, especially if its going to be read
by another programmer who is familiar with the paper.

Maybe for now I will just fix up my emacs to display the world 'self'
in 10% gray...   :-)