Python 3K or Python 2.9?

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Fri Sep 21 10:41:30 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Ron Adam a écrit :
>>
>> TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
>>
>>> I am not talking about the way it does it, but rather, the way it
>>> could do it or... could have done it. That requires no knowledge of
>>> how the interpreter currently does it unless I am proposing something
>>> that no interpreter in the world could ever do.
> (snip)
>> So if you can find a way to do things like removing self in python in
>> such a way that it doesn't require adding more to the Core interpreter,
>> then it might be considered.
>
> By who ? As far as I'm concerned, I don't want 'self' to be removed, and
> I'm probably not the only one here.

The term "might be considered" in this case is a very very small
possibility.  It would need to be a very good solution which has some very
nice benifits over the current way.  As you say below, it's probably not
possible.

This was more of a challenge to get anyone who thinks it's worth doing to
learn more about how python works rather than just propose arbitrary ideas.

>> What I've found is as my skills improve, I take more advantage of being
>> able to modify and/or introspect how things work.  This allows more
>> choices on how I might solve a particular problem.
>
> The changes required by removing self would make most of this either
> painfull or near impossible AFAICT.

Right, It would have a cascade effect in many places.

>> I also think there a lots of improvements that could be made to other
>> parts of python such as the libraries that would be of much more
>> practical benefit.
>
> indeed.

Cheers,
   Ron