Does shuffle() produce uniform result ?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Sep 9 13:09:14 EDT 2007

Bryan Olson <fakeaddress at nowhere.org> writes:
> I haven't kept up. Has anyone exhibited a SHA-1 collision?

I don't think anyone has shown an actual collision, but apparently
there is now a known way to find them in around 2**63 operations.  I
don't know if it parallellizes as well as a brute force attack does.
If it does, then it's presumably within reach of the distributed
attacks like the ones used against DES in the late 1990's, given the
hardware speedups that have occurred since then.  NIST is trying to
phase out SHA-1 by 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA1#Cryptanalysis_of_SHA-1
http://csrc.nist.gov/hash_standards_comments.pdf