Car-ac-systems

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Sep 11 16:49:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:50:33PM +0100, John Timney (MVP) wrote regarding Re: Car-ac-systems:

> "Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch" <bj_666 at gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:5ko2rjF4om2bU1 at mid.uni-berlin.de...
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:42:53 +0000, Zentrader wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>
> >> What is it about "please do not top-post" that you have difficulty
> >> understanding? Or do "MVP"s feel that their time is so much more
> >> valuable than anyone else's that they are free to ignore the norms?
> >>
> >> Who made this the norm?
> >
> > Common sense and (western) reading habits.
> >
> >> In my travels through web-land, it appears to be the opposite.
> >
> > You must travel strange territories.  ;-)
> >
> >> Don't waste space repeating everything in every post, and it wastes
> >> everyone's time by have to go over the same thing again and again.
> >
> > That's why you trim the quoted part to the minimum to understand what one
> > is answering.  Top posting and full quoting wastes time for people who
> > want to see the context because context and answer are way apart and in
> > the
> > wrong order so one has to scroll back and forth to keep track of the
> > discussion.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
>

> I like top posted threads, its my preferred response method - and actually
> also how I prefer to read a thread.  Normally, I and the thread followers
> are familiar with a threads context - and don't need to read down to get the
> context of a response.  Not much of a hardship really and just as I give my
> time freely in answering a thread - everyone else can chose freely to read
> it or ignore.
>
> I don't though have no issues with people who chose to bottom post, or
> respond with the full thread if its relevent, or trim it.  If the answer is
> relevent, I'll gladly spend the time reading it from any direction.
>
> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)

Thank you for your courtesy in bottom posting that comment, in spite of your personal preference.  It makes the group easier to follow.

Personally, I have nothing against top-posted comments.  What really gets my panties in a bunch, however, are threads in which some replies are top-posted and some bottom posted.  Then, in order to get the full story you end up bouncing back and forth through the message and trying to remember how deeply nested the last post was.

Cheers, and welcome to c.l.py.

Cliff