setuptools without unexpected downloads

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 26 05:30:53 EDT 2007

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > How would I modify my 'setup.py' script so that its default
> > behaviour, when dependencies are not met, is not "download and
> > install dependencies via setuptools" but instead "exit with error
> > message"?
>
> easy_install has the --no-deps commandline argument.

As am I.

> I'm not sure if that is triggerable from inside setup.py

Thanks for this answer.

> - but in the end, you wanted user choice, didn't you?

No. In the end, I want the default to be as described above. User
choice is desirable, but not necessary for this requirement.

> Generally speaking, I think the real problem here is the clash
> between "cultures" of dependency-handling. But it's certainly beyond
> setuptools scope to cope with every imaginable package management
> system out there, and provide means to trigger an installation of
> say e.g. debian packages that are needed.

Indeed, and that's beyond the scope of what I'm asking about.

--
 \        "As soon as I get through with you, you'll have a clear case |
  `\                for divorce and so will my wife."  -- Groucho Marx |