Any syntactic cleanup likely for Py3? And what about doc standards?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Fri Sep 7 00:19:26 EDT 2007

On Sep 6, 12:56 pm, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> I think there's been a widespread "kitchen sink" mentality around the
> Python language for some time, which is where the multimethods
> proposal, amongst others, fits in here.

Maybe that's one of two fixed points in the evolution of a programming
language? The other one might be an almost non-designed and small
language with a vast and flat library a la PHP and Zend. Apparently
even Scheme moves into the kitchen sink today with the new R6RS
specification.

Python is going to be the-right-thing with abandoning the print
statement or making lists a bit more monotyped with a type aware sort.
The worse-is-better philosophy on the other hand is  indifferent
towards stylistic consistency and equipped with less nominalistic
pedantry ( "this is a list and therefore you only have to use it as a
list and not as a multiset..." ).

This explains also the lack of interest into the std library which
will be reduced to CPython services and basic datatypes. But there are
also organizational issues and I don't even think that a lib that
provides applications and domain specific services has to be
necessarily maintained and approved by python-dev. I'd go even further
and contend that's one of the issues where a rather large community
such as Pythons could grow up and set code review standards ( and I
mean *manual* code reviews of conscientous readers. I don't mean
cheesecake or up(down)moddings in Web 2.0 style, implementing the
"wisdom of the crowd" ). I can even live with Eggs and a not-so-common
code base but not with low quality.