why should I learn python

HowiPepper hpepper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:20:21 EDT 2007

On Sep 6, 5:32 pm, windandwaves <nfranc... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me why I should learn python?  I am a webdeveloper,
> but I often see Python mentioned and I am curious to find out what I
> am missing out on.
>
> Thank you
>
> Nicolaas

Nicholaas,

There are many reasons to learn Python, and few not to.  I'm another
one of those "multiple language" programmers, and have worked in C/C++
(yes, both of them), Java, Pascal (and Delphi), BASIC (and it's Visual
cousin), Clipper, Perl, PHP and Python (and a couple of dialects of
Unix shell scripting as well).

I started working in Perl back in 1998, mainly for web development.
Since then, I've done just about anything possible you can do with
Perl, and used it as my "Swiss army chainsaw" for practically anything
I needed to do.  I got a contract with IBM, back in May of 2005, and
soon found out the group I worked with used Python for all of it's
"discretionary" development.  I started reading "A Byte of Python",
and was soon hooked.  I spent the next two years using Python as my
exclusive scripting language.  And by scripting, I mean anything from
one or two line throw-aways, to major programs.  Python makes it so
easy to build like that!

My new job, which I started several months ago, put me squarely back
in the Perl realm.  Now I really miss Python!  I've discussed with my
supervisor porting all of our Perl scripts over to Python, and he is
receptive, but I'm not holding my breath :-(  For now, I use Perl and
shell at work, and Python (and shell) at home.

Python is just so much nicer than any other language I've developed
in.  Once you get the swing of it (no pun intended), you will find
you're way more productive, your programs turn out better and are much
easier to go back to six months or a year later, and work with.  Right
now, I'm going through Perl hell, trying to figure out what the heck
the past two guys did and why! ;-)

Regards,
Howard