Python Database Apps

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Sep 9 11:33:26 EDT 2007

Tom Brown a écrit :
> On Monday 10 September 2007 19:52, darien.watkins at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Kindof a poll, kindof curiosity...
>>
>>What is your favorite python - database combination?  I'm looking to
>>make an app that has a local DB and a server side DB.  I'm looking at
>>python and sqlite local side and sql server side.
>>
>>Any suggestions????
>

> I have had a lot of good luck with PostgreSQL. It is easy to install and use.

Well... For an experimented (or opiniated) Unix user, at least !-)

But I can only second : PgSql is probably one of the best free RDBMS
around - one of my previous associates (and still friend !-), who has
quite a few years of experience as an Oracle DBA, consider it (pg) as
mostly as good as Oracle, and eventually better on some points. My own
experience with Pg for web applications is that it JustWorks(tm) - never
had a single problem with it. I wish I could say so about MySQL.

wrt/ sqlite, I've only used it for small web apps, and the only problem
I had was a strange incompatibility bug with first PHP5 versions
installed on the same machine. Since I doubt your users will have PHP5
installed on the client machines (!), this should not be a problem.

And, while it may takes some time to learn, SQLAlchemy is a very great lib.