So what exactly is a complex number?

Tim Couper tim.couper at scivisum.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 06:20:19 EDT 2007

.. FWIW the fundamental difference in using complex number to represent
purely vector information is that the algebra of complex numbers is such
that the product of two of the imaginary components has a result in the
real range (and a product of a real and imaginary components is in the
imaginary range, etc); so what you are modelling should have this
behaviour if you're using complex numbers to represent it;  otherwise a
vector representation could be more appropriate. So in areas of physics
where complex number representations are used, rather than vector, it's
because this this algebra *is* appropriate. Now, if you're modelling
entities that has up to 2 numeric components, which dos not have this
"complex number" behaviour, and you're at most going to add and subtract
these, then the representation of this as vector or complex number model
are indeed identical. This could, however, be considered a special, or
at least a simple, case.

Dr Tim Couper
CTO, SciVisum Ltd

www.scivisum.com