parameter list notation

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 4 02:50:11 EDT 2007

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd at aol.com> writes:

> In looking at some of the functions I see this prototype:
>     def create(self,*fields,**kw):
>
> I am not clear on what the * and the ** are for or what they
> represent.

It would seem, then, that you haven't followed the exercises in the
Python tutorial <URL:http://docs.python.org/tut/> very thoroughly.

Please work your way through the whole tutorial, with the document and
an interactive Python prompt side by side. Run each exercise, read the
accompanying text, experiment until you understand what it does; then
move onto the next, and so on.

This will give you a grounding in the fundamentals of the language
that will be of great assistance to you, and to us.

--
 \            "It's not what you pay a man, but what he costs you that |
  `\                                          counts."  -- Will Rogers |