Overriding Logging Config FileHandler Filename

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 02:07:03 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 9:15 pm, "Kenneth Love" <kl... at tax.ok.gov> wrote:
> I have a Pythonloggingconfig file that contains a RotatingFileHandler
> handler.  In the args key, I have hard-coded the log filename.  Everything
> works great.
>
> However, I find that I now need to override this filename at application
> runtime.  Is there a good way to do this?

Are you using the original file name mentioned in the config file at
all? Why and under what conditions do you need to switch? You could
easily do this programmatically - have two handlers and when you need
to, remove one from the logger and add the other. I see you are using
a rotating handler, which itself does rollover to new log files every
so often.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip