Py2.5.1 on Ubuntu AMD X2, unicode problems

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Tue Sep 11 02:25:17 EDT 2007

I'm building 2.5.1 from source, using the ubuntu(7.0.4)-provided gcc
4.1.2.  Based on google searches and nints found, here is the process:

#---edit configure; test of wchar_t---
#include <ncursesw.h>
#include <wchar.h>
#-------------------------------------

cd Lib/test
rm test_multibyte*
cd ../..

#---edit Include/unicodeobject.h---
/* FIXME: MvL's new implementation assumes that Py_UNICODE_SIZE is
   properly set, but the default rules below doesn't set it.  I'll
   sort this out some other day -- fredrik at pythonware.com */
#define Py_UNICODE_SIZE 4
#ifndef Py_UNICODE_SIZE
#----------------------------

LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib -lncursesw -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto ' \
./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
--with-gcc=/usr/bin/gcc \
--enable-shared \
--enable-unicode=usc4 \

#---edit Modules/Setup---
(all the std ones....)
SSL=/usr/local/ssl
_ssl _ssl.c \
	-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
	-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

#---end edits---

gmake altinstall

I'm getting a failure during final libpython binding, on undefined
PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar.  All the other PyUnicodeUCS4... functions
are being found.  It specifically says it is checking on the libpython
in /usr/local/lib (not somewhere in the source code build dirtree), so
that is a possible oddity.  Checking with nm on the lib shows
"AsWideChar" is in fact undefined.

1. If I onfigure with unicode=ucs2, does all this go away and I get a
working system (efficient or not) on my 64-bit machine?

2. Can you point to a configure (and maybe patch) process which leads
to a clean "make altinstall".

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture