Python 3K or Python 2.9?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Wed Sep 12 18:53:41 EDT 2007

TheFlyingDutchman wrote:

> In C++ and Java I don't believe "this" is ever referred to as an
> implicit function parameter.

Oh yes, it is. All methods use it as a base address into instances.
Implicitly though.

> It is a (sometimes necessary) way to reference the object inside
> one if it's methods.

Also, I always like to use it explicitly. There's nothing worse than
to read others' source and not know if it's a global they access or
not.

> If it is in fact a real parameter in the underlying compiled-code
> implementation, that knowledge hurts more than it helps.

To which language are you referring here, Python or C++? No matter
what, I still don't really understand why it hurted.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #296: