sorteddict PEP proposal [started off as orderedict]

Paul Rubin http
Thu Sep 27 05:24:33 EDT 2007

Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> writes:
> Ok, your choice, just be aware that by using such a restrictive license you
> will dissuade a lot of people from using your code. You've prevented your
> module being used in any existing projects with Python license, GPL v2, or
> probably any license other than GPL v3.

GPL2 projects seem to be migrating nicely to GPL3 so GPL2 shouldn't be
too much of a problem.

Since one of the Python license's goals is to allow re-use in
proprietary programs, and the GPL family's main goal is the exact
opposite, I'd say if someone chooses a GPL, then preventing the code
from being used in a Python-licensed project was part of the intention
and not an undesired consequence.  While Python itself is unlikely to
switch to a new license in order to import GPL code, other projects
can and have done exactly that.