Would Anonymous Functions Help in Learning Programming/Python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Sep 22 17:17:12 EDT 2007

Kay Schluehr wrote:

> I checked out Io once and I disliked it. I expected Io's prototype OO
> being just a more flexible variant of class based OO but Io couples a
> prototype very closely to its offspring. When A produces B and A.f is
> modified after production of B also B.f is modified. A controls the
> state of B during the whole lifetime of B. I think parents shall not
> do this, not in real life and also not in programming language
> semantics.

It sounds like you're talking about some language other than Io, or
didn't delve deeply enough into it, since Io makes no such requirements.

The attribute and method (not made distinct in Io; they're called
"slots") is much the same as with Python; the current instance is
checked for the object, then its parents, then _its_ parents, and so on.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   No man quite believes in any other man.
    -- H.L. Mencken