Python 3K or Python 2.9?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Thu Sep 13 18:20:55 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Bjoern Schliessmann a écrit :

>> Why don't you make a preprocessor which accepts method
>> declarations without "self" and fixes them?
>
> The problem being that there's no such thing as a "method
> declaration" in Python

Yep, there are only definitions. I'm sorry.

> - only functions being attributes of a class...

What, IYHO, is the difference between a method and a function?

> (ok, I know, you meant "functions declared within a class
> statement").

I think that those functions _are_ special ones since the compiler
is able to make "method(instance, a, b)" out of
"instance.method(a, b)". So IMHO, "method definition" makes sense.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #144: