debugging program that uses ctypes

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Fri Sep 7 11:30:53 EDT 2007

marco_347 at yahoo.it schrieb:
> hi all, I have a python program that calls a dll through ctypes
> (py2.5). In some (reproducible)
> conditions the program crashes with an error in ctypes module.

You mean a segfault?

> How can I trace down the problem? I have created a debug build of
> python but I also use pyodbc
> and dateutil libraries in my program and I don't know how to make them
> visible to python_d.exe
> Am I using the right approach?

I would say yes.  It seems you are using windows - running debug builds of
python on windows start a dialog box that allows to attach the MSVC debugger
to the running program. Usually this allows to locate the error fairly quickly.

As you have discovered, the problem is that you need to build all the extensions
that you use in debug mode otherwise you cannot use them.

If you cannot rebuild the extensions you have to reproduce the crash in
a script that doesn't use these extensions.

Thomas