parameter list notation

TheFlyingDutchman zzbbaadd at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 18:06:04 EDT 2007

On Sep 4, 1:53 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:10:41 -0700, TheFlyingDutchman wrote:
> > Well I did a search on "Python variable length arguments" and found a
> > hit that seems to explain the *fields parameter:
>
> > When you declare an argment to start with '*', it takes the argument
> > list into an array.
>
> No it doesn't.

> ...     import array
> ...     assert type(args) is array.array, "Not an array"
> ...>>> test(1, 2, 3)
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "<stdin>", line 3, in test
> AssertionError: Not an array

Oh, I forgot the context of the discussion! As you are well aware, my
Python fork() (which I am now calling PIEthun 3.01 in beta and PIEthun
3000 upon release) has made a few changes. Tuples are known as arrays.
Lists are known as uarrays (for updatable array) and the array module
has been renamed to homo_uarray (homogenous_updatable_array was just
too much typing).

In the future I will be sure to specify the context of my statements -
whether PIEthunic or Pythonic in nature.