Sets in Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 20 14:01:20 EDT 2007

"Chris Mellon" <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4866bea60709201012x30fc0285j9c07dda2a1991d16 at mail.gmail.com...
| On 9/20/07, Dustan <DustanGroups at gmail.com> wrote:
| > On Sep 19, 10:58 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr... at nowhere.org> wrote:
| > > Bad news: Python 3000 has no immutable type for byte-strings.
| > > The new bytes type cannot serve for dict keys or set members.
| > > Many things one would want to hash are unhashable -- for
| > > example, the results of the hash functions in hashlib.
| >
| > Are you serious????
| >

| It's a little Chicken Little. The current version of py3k has no
| immutable bytes type, but there's work being done even as we speak to
| implement it.

To reinforce this comment: CPython3.0 will not be released for at least 9
months.  The current 3.0.a1 is openly *experimental*.  3.0.a2 should be
released within a few weeks with an invitation for anyone concerned with
the final product to experiment with it.

GvR's development strategy has been to start small and add what is clearly
useful (rather than start large and trim).  3.0 is being trimmed bit.
Where too much is trimmed, something can get added back.