python project ideas

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Thu Oct 25 06:12:00 EDT 2007

Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
> On Oct 25, 10:05 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan.behnel-n05... at web.de>
> wrote:
>> Evan Klitzke wrote:
>>> but you could also write your own templating engine for this.
>> No, please.
>
> I'm afraid it is the inalienable right of every python programmer to
> write their own templating engine.

Oh, definitely. But there is no reason to encourage someone to do so.

> After all, it takes less time to write your own than to understand
> some of them!

Template engines are amongst the things that seem easy enough to look at the
available software and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day", but are complex
enough to keep them growing over years until they become as huge and
inaccessible as all the other implementations. Then it's time for someone else
to look at it and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day".

Stefan