Convert on uppercase unaccentent unicode character

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 4 06:08:35 EDT 2007

JBJ wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Duncan Booth wrote:

>>> No, that will uppercase the string, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) strip
>>> the accents:
>>>
>> I can agree that is doesn't (though I am taking your word for it), but a
>> French person will definitely feel it's doing the wrong thing. Upper
>> case letters aren't accented in written French.
>>
>> regards
>>   Steve
> http://www.academie-francaise.fr/langue/questions.html#accentuation

Malheureusement, I see that absence of accented capitals is a modern
phenomenon that is regarded as an impediment to the language mostly
stemming from laziness of individual authors and inadequacy of low-end
typesetting software. I hadn't realised I was so up-to-date ;-)

So I will have to stop propagating this misinformation.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline so I couldn't cat it