Problem using subprocess.Popen on windows

jorma kala jjkk73 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 06:07:32 EDT 2007

Hi,

I get an error that I don't understand when using the subprocess module on
Windows.
I guess I'm missing out something very basic.
For instance, to execute and capture the output of the ms-dos dir command, I
tried the following:

from subprocess import *

p1 = Popen(["dir"],  stdout=PIPE)
output = p1.communicate()[0]

But I get a WindowsError : [Error 2]  File Not Found

The exact traceback is :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pipe2.py", line 5, in <module>
    p1 = Popen(["dir"],  stdout=PIPE)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 815, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] Le fichier spÚcifiÚ est introuvable

Do you know what is missing in my code?

Thanks a lot

jorma