test if email

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 12 18:10:08 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-12, George Sakkis <george.sakkis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 4:59 pm, brad <byte8b... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> here's a Perl re example... I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
>> don't try to replicate this in Python or you'll hurt yourself. :)
>>
>> "... the only sure way to see if a supplied email address is genuine is
>> to send an email to it and see if the user recieves it."
>>
>> http://ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html
>
> Gotta love the comment: "somewhat pushes the limits of what it is
> sensible to do with regular expressions".

OK, I want to know if a human generate that RE, or if it was
generated mechanically from the grammar specification.  It's
hard to imagine the former, but you never know when it comes to
Perl programmers.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Hmmm ... an arrogant
                                  at               bouquet with a subtle