How to best send email to a low volume list?

Shane Geiger sgeiger at ncee.net
Thu Oct 25 00:08:14 EDT 2007

A mailing list manager is really overkill for what he is trying to do
*IF* he is not maintaining a discussion list.  A "newsletter" list
doesn't sound like a discussion list, especially since he wants to hide
the email addresses of the other people.

If you want to manage your mailing list in a mail client like Mozilla
Thunderbird, you can export them in CSV format.  You could put some
string in a certain field that would denote that someone is on the
mailing list, and you could compile the email addresses rather easily
and send out a message via the mailto: protocol (which I will use via
the 'open' command available in MacOSX).

import os

subject = ''   # note: you will have problems if you insert certain
characters.
body = ''     # You are better off simply writing the message subject
and body once your mail client starts up.

to = ''
cc = ''
bcc=','.join("""one at one.com
two at two.com
three at three.com
four at four.com
five at five.com""".splitlines())
addresses = ''

headers = 'TO=' + to + '&CC=' + cc + '&BCC=' + bcc
url = 'mailto:' + addresses + '?subject=' + subject + '&' + headers +
'&body=' + body
os.system('open ' + url)

Contact me off list if you would like a little code to help you even
more.  I suspect there is a little bug in this code, but the idea is there.

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy