Paste and WSGI 2.0 [WAS: Yet another comparison of Python Web Frameworks]

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 15 12:14:17 EDT 2007

On Oct 14, 3:46 am, Michele Simionato <michele.simion... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think we do agree entirely, it is just that the application we have
> in
> mind is more a collection of web services than a traditional Web
> application.
> Now, since you are here, there is an unrelated question that I want to
> ask you, concerning the future of Paste with respect to WSGI 2.0.
> I do realize that at this stage WSGI 2.0, is only a draft, still I
> would
> like to know:
>
> 1. if you think that WSGI 2.0 is good idea (I expect you will say
> "yes")

Yeah.  WebOb's functions have made me feel less of a need for that
change, and it normalizes some of the parts of WSGI that WSGI 2
removes.  But I think it would generally help.

> 2. if you plan to support it in Paste and if yes when (I mean, in a
> month,
>    in a year, in three years?)
> 3. if you already have thought of a migration plan and, in that case,
>    what your strategy would likely be.

This I'm really not sure about.  A middleware could wrap any WSGI
application to make it support both WSGI 1 and 2.  However, on the
server side it's unclear how to do the transition (including
middleware that calls WSGI applications).

If WSGI 2 included some marker that I could look for, then it would be
relatively easy too -- I'd always just call applications with a
library function that knew how to deal with both kinds of
applications.  Without that... well, maybe I'll just have to be sure
that there's a clear upgrade path for the spec in general.

Of course, as Graham says, WSGI 2 is just talk at this point; there's
not a ton of momentum toward actually delivering a new spec.

  Ian