gdbm objects not iterable?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Wed Oct 3 15:11:55 EDT 2007

>> E.g. I would not allow to change the keys of the gdbm object during
>> iteration. I'm not sure how to detect "end of iteration" though.
>>
>> (Maybe I misunderstood your question.)
>>

> All I meant was that it's essential to trap this condition.

Dictionary size change is easy to detect between two iterations.
Detecting key changes is more difficult but not hard (with a "last
modified" timestamp/counter maybe?).

These would not work when there are multiple threads iterating over the
same gdbm object. I believe I should not do this without locking. (How
it is implemented in Python with dicts? What happens if I iterate
through a dict in one thread, and modify it from another thread?)

I'm just glad that my idea was not rejected instantly. :-)

  Laszlo