How to "dereference" an iterator?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:01:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

Suppose I wanted to manually iterate over a container, for example:

mylist = [1,2,3,4,5,6]

it = iter(mylist)
while True:
    print it
    it.next()

In the example above, the print doesn't print the VALUE that the iterator
currently represents, it prints the iterator itself. How can I get the value
'it' represents so I can either modify that value or print it? Thanks.

PS: Yes, I know that the While loop is messy and I should be prepared to
handle the StopIteration exception. However, if you guys can think of a
better alternative than the while loop I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.