shouldn't 'string'.find('ugh') return 0, not -1 ?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 31 11:13:44 EDT 2007

> if I check a string for for a substring, and this substring isn't found,
> should't the .find method return 0 rather than -1?
> this breaks the
>
> if check.find('something'):
>     do(somethingElse)
>
> idiom, which is a bit of a pity I think.

That idiom is spelled:

   if 'something' in check:
     do(somethingElse)

Unless you really do need to start at a particular offset where
you use the additional parameters of find(), such as
find('something', 3, 42).  In that case, you can slice your target:

  if 'something' in check[3:42]:
    do(somethingElse)

The above is untested, so check for fencepost errors, but the
theory holds.

So pretty much, I'd never consider using find() :)

-tkc