reliable unit test logging

Vyacheslav Maslov vmaslov at swsoft.com
Mon Oct 1 06:56:02 EDT 2007

Hi all!

I have many many many python unit test, which are used for testing some
remote web service.

The most important issue here is logging of test execution process and
result. I strongly need following:
1. start/end timestamp for each test case (most important)
2. immediate report about exceptions (stacktrace)
3. it will be nice to use logging module for output

I have investigated some extension for standard unittest module, e.g.
testoob, nose, etc. They have very nice features but they does not
satisfy first requirement in my list - test execution logs not doesn't
contain timestamps.

Can someone explain my why so simple feature like logging of timestamps
during test execution was not implemented in any extension?

Also i need some advices about how i can implement timestamps logging
myself. I think proper way is develop customized TextTestRunner and use
logging module instead of "print"s. Is it right way or there is more simply?