building a linux executable

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Oct 24 11:08:33 EDT 2007

On 24 Okt, 16:10, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Paul Boddie wrote:
> > It's not usually the absence of Python that's the problem. What if
> > your application uses various extension modules which in turn rely
> > on various libraries (of the .so or .a kind)? It may be more
> > convenient to bundle all these libraries instead of working out
> > the package dependencies for all the target distributions, even if
> > you know them all.
>
> True, thanks for clarification.

Any suggestions, then? ;-)

I've also run into similar issues with cx_Freeze: I wanted to package
a game written using PyGame, which itself requires some SDL libraries,
which in turn require different libraries like smpeg (if I remember
correctly). It gets to the point where one is effectively building a
Python distribution (another question asked recently but not answered
sufficiently), which has minimal linkage to other libraries - perhaps
the system C libraries, some X11 libraries, and nothing more. Some
ideas about doing that successfully (perhaps LSB enters the picture)
would be quite useful.

Paul