xml modifications

dcleaner demoncleaner13 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 6 13:29:16 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com>
wrote in news:47009cf7$0$21616$426a34cc at news.free.fr:

> dcleaner a écrit :
>> hi there...i'm a begginer level user and i've stumbbled upon a
>> problem a bit beyond my knowledge. i hope that somebody will be able
>> to help me with my problem...
>>
>> the problem is: i'm transforming an Access database to XML
>
> <ot>Strange idea IMHO, but anyway...</ot>
>
>> with some
>> adjustements. basicaly i have one main table in which i have my main
>> data and keys to other tables containing other relevant data.
>> after exporting my main table to xml i have in some tags only keys to
>> other tables. and now i want to change those keys to meaningful data.
>> for instance: after exporting, i have a line like this:
>> <tagZ>1</tagZ>, and i want to change it to be just an opening tag for
>> something else; <tagQ attr1="xx" attr2="yy">.the data which must be
>> written in attr1 and attr2 depends upon the number (in this case
>> number 1) inside  the tag (tagZ).
>
> And where's your problem exactly ?-)
>
> More seriously: you don't explain how you export your database to XML,
> so it won't be easy to help.
>
> What I'd personnaly do would be to use the db-api (or whatever
> appropriate for accessing a .mdb) and a templating system (like genshi
> or mako or...) to build the xml file. In which case there's no problem
> accessing the related tables (that's what SQL is for, isn't it ?).
>
> Now if you hope to get some serious help, you probably want to give
> more details...

the tool i used to transform from mdb to xml was the microsoft's access itself (2007
version). i only exported one table for now which is my main table, from the others i
want to extract data so that i could put in inside the newly formed xml. hmm... in
short.... i want to have everything in one xml file...
about sql database... i'm using xml because i want it to be able to run offline.