Alarming message when running Python code

Bill Marcum marcumbill at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 27 14:44:45 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-27, peter <peter.mosley at talk21.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this query should be directed to comp.lang.python or
> comp.os.linux.misc so I intend to post it to both with apologies if
> it's inappropriate on either.
>
> I have a small python utility which I wrote myself and which crawls
> through a directory comparing all possible pairs of files.  Under
> Windows it works fine, while the same code under Linux (Fedora Core 3)
> works for a while then starts continuously throwing up the following
> message
>
> Message from syslog at localhost at [date/time]
> localhost kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
>
> While the code is continues to work, it is greatly slowed by these
> constant messages, and of ourse I am left wondering if my computer is
> about to explode!
>
> Is it really true that the code causes overheating under Linux and not
> under Windows?  Or does Windows ignore the problem (and so am I
> risking damage by running the code)? Or are the Linux messages
> spurious, and if so how can I suppress them and ensure they do not
> slow the running of the code?
>
> Grateful for any help - preferably not too technical.

Controlling CPU temperature is the job of the operating system and the
hardware.  Do you have the latest version of the kernel?  Do you hear the fans
running at full speed when your code runs?  Maybe you need new fans or a new
heatsink, or you need to clean the ones you have.  Why are you still using FC3?
Which version of Windows do you use? 98? XP with no service pack?