Pari Python

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Oct 28 19:41:08 EDT 2007

Anton Mellit wrote:
> And I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the ^ operator (xor) is
> used very very infrequently. And it is not difficult to replace all ^
> with say ^^. The division is probably used more often, but python has
> this trend anyway - to replace division with 'true' division, so
> people should use // when they divide integers and expect an integer.

That's besides the point.  It *breaks* python, which is a problem.  How
can someone use your code with other third-party modules which may use
this operator?

> Other than these two things (the second one does not require
> recompilation, so it is not so bad probably) I don't need any changes
> to python core. I agree that a standard must be standard.

With that in mind, why not implement your shell layer using pypy (python
on python). That way you can have a full python parser that you can
modify to your hearts content, running on an unmodified cpython core.
Or implement your own parser using pyparsing.

Or how about this:  Implement a shell in python that uses regex to
replace and translate PariPython syntax into python syntax, and then
evaluate it on the unmodified core.

There's got to be some solution that doesn't break python.   Of course
really you would be (and are) creating a new language.  Call it
PariPython or something.  Make a new file extension so people don't
confuse it with python.  like ".ppy" or something.