problem with wxPanel derivation class

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:35:49 EDT 2007

You've got calls for properties in other classes and you don't
initialize the panel object. I edited the code somewhat so it'll at
least run. I tried to comment where I changed things, but I may have
missed a few minor points. See below:

<code>

 #The commented out code from MyFrame was moved to class Panel \
# and appropriately modified by changing self.panel to self etc

import wx

class MyFrameTwo(wx.Frame):
        def __init__(self, *args, **kwds):
                # begin wxGlade: MyFrameTwo.__init__
                kwds["style"] = wx.DEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE
                wx.Frame.__init__(self, *args, **kwds)
##              self.panel = panel(self, -1)
                self.panel = Panel(self, -1)
                self.__set_properties()
                self.__do_layout()
                # end wxGlade

        def __set_properties(self):
                # begin wxGlade: MyFrameTwo.__set_properties
                self.SetTitle("frame_1")
                # end wxGlade

        def __do_layout(self):
                # begin wxGlade: MyFrameTwo.__do_layout
                sizer_1 = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
                sizer_1.Add(self.panel, 1, wx.EXPAND, 0)
                self.SetAutoLayout(True)
                self.SetSizer(sizer_1)
                sizer_1.Fit(self)
                sizer_1.SetSizeHints(self)
                self.Layout()
                # end wxGlade

# end of class MyFrameTwo

class Panel (wx.Panel):
        def __init__(self, parent, *args, **kwds):
                wx.Panel.__init__(self, parent) # Added line
                self.staticbox = wx.StaticBox(self, -1, "StaticBox")
                self.label = wx.StaticText(self, -1, "Field Name")
                self.textBox = wx.TextCtrl(self, -1, "Field Value")
                self.button = wx.Button(self, -1, "Edit")
                self.__doLayout() # added self

        def __doLayout(self): # added argument
                sizer = wx.StaticBoxSizer(self.staticbox,
wx.HORIZONTAL)
                sizer.Add(self.label, 0, wx.ALL, 3)
                sizer.Add(self.textBox, 0, wx.ALL, 3)
                sizer.Add(self.button, 0, wx.ALL, 3)
                self.label.SetMinSize((-1, 15)) # moved from Frame

                # maybe comment this and uncommennt  frame2's
corresponding line
                self.SetAutoLayout(True)

                self.SetSizer(sizer)
                sizer.Fit(self)
                sizer.SetSizeHints(self)

## modified from BoaApp
class App(wx.App):
        def OnInit(self):
                wx.InitAllImageHandlers()
                self.main = MyFrameTwo(None)
                self.main.Show()
                self.SetTopWindow(self.main)
                return True

def main():
        application = App(0)
        application.MainLoop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
        main()

</code>

Larry is correct. You'll get better help from the wxPython group. See
http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

Mike