python in academics?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:06:52 EDT 2007

On Oct 29, 10:39 pm, sandipm <sandip.m... at gmail.com> wrote:
> seeing posts from students on group. I am curious to know, Do they
> teach python in academic courses in universities?
>
> in undergrad comp science courses,  We had scheme language as scheme
> is neat and beautiful language to learn programming. We learnt other
> languages ourselve with basics set right by scheme..
>
> sandip

They didn't at either of the colleges I went to. They seemed to be
focused on C++, COBOL and Visual Basic. All are used all over the
place, but only Visual Basic is easy for complete newbs. I hope more
colleges adopt Python or Ruby as a teaching language, but I don't
think it's a good idea to ignore COBOL or C++ since their used so
extensively in big business.

Mike