Is hostmonster any good for hosting python?

walterbyrd walterbyrd at iname.com
Thu Oct 11 14:03:26 EDT 2007

I should have mentioned, I am thinking about using a python framework,
either django, turbogears, or pylons.

I think these frameworks require a newer version of python, maybe 2.4.
Also, I think some of them require a newer version of Apache - 2.0 or
better. I also think these python frameworks all work with fastcgi,
which - I think - is possible with hostmonster. Although fastcgi is
acceptable, it is generally not the preferred solution.

I do not think you will get reasonable performance with CGI, even if
factcgi/mod_python/wsgi are not officially required.

Also, I doubt you will find mod_python on any "standard" shared
hosting. To get mod_python you will need 1) a host that speciallizes
in python - like webfaction. 2) a virtual host 3) something like
hcoop.net, which may be sort-of like a virtual host. BTW: hccoop.net
has a long-running freeze on new memberships.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.