supplying password to subprocess.call('rsync ...'), os.system('rsync ...')

timw.google tjandacw at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 10:33:39 EDT 2007

Hi

I want to write a python script that runs rsync on a given directory
and host. I build the command line string, but when I try to run
subprocess.call(cmd), or p=subprocess.Popen(cmd, shell=True),or
os.system(cmd), I get prompted for my login password. I expected this,
but when I try to give my password, it's echoed back to the terminal
and the special characters in the password is (I think) getting
interpreted by the shell (zsh)

I can't ssh w/o supplying a password. That's the way the security is
set up here.

How do I use python to do this, or do I just have to write a zsh
script?

Thanks.