why did MIT drop scheme for python in intro to computing?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 9 10:47:44 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-09, gnuist006 at gmail.com <gnuist006 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Comparing apples with apples, how do you compare the scheme
> gui library with wxpython ? Isnt it better than Tkinter ?

I haven't used the newer Scheme GUI bindings.  I switched from
STk to tkinter, and then from tkinter to PyGTK and wxPython.  I
found Scheme much easier to use than TCL (an horrible, horrible
language, IMO), but Python is easier yet than Scheme except for
the Tk integration features.

The GTK and wxWidgets Python bindings are native bindings
rather than the TCL-hack used for tkinter, so I would expect a
native GTK or wxWidgets Scheme binding to be quite similar to a
native Python binding for the same library.  However, a lot of
extra work has gone into polishing the wxPython features above
and beyond simply the library bindings, so I wouldn't be
surprised if wxPython is better than a vanilla Scheme wxWidgets
biding.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience