gui toolkits: the real story? (Tkinter, PyGTK, etc.)

bramble cadet.bramble at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:35:31 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 5:29 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 2 Okt, 04:54, bramble <cadet.bram... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe the key I'm missing is this: maybe GvR and company think that a
> > language absolutely should come off-the-shelf with GUI toolkit
> > bindings. So, given that, they feel they've gotta pick just one, and
> > they've already got Tkinter and it works, so that's that. Is that it?
>
> Yes.

Ahh... Ok. Thanks, that explains it. At first, it hadn't ocurred to me
that anyone would want to provide a GUI toolkit binding along with a
popular general purpose programming language implementation. Moreover,
it *really* wouldn't occur to me that they'd also want to provide an
IDE (as Terry mentions in another reply). But then, I'm looking at
Python today, in 2007, at a time when Python has multiple high-quality
GUI toolkit bindings available, and when most editors and IDE's have
excellent Python support built-in.

Given that line of reasoning though, it seems odd to me that GvR and
Co. would still regard shipping those as part of Python proper as a
requirement for Py3k.