Bypassing __getattribute__ for attribute access

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:26:49 EDT 2007

Adam Donahue wrote:
> ...     def c( self ): pass
> <unbound method X.c>
> <bound method X.c of <__main__.X object at 0x81b2b4c>>
>
> If my interpretation is correct, the X.c's __getattribute__ call knows
> the attribute reference is via a class, and thus returns an unbound
> method (though it does convert the value to a method).

No, that's wrong. It's not the __getattribute__ of "X.c", it's the
__getattribute__ of "X" itself::

     >>> type.__getattribute__(X, 'c')
     <unbound method X.c>
     >>> X.c.__getattribute__('c')
     Traceback (most recent call last):
     AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'c'

In the former case, we use the type's __getattribute__, and we get the
unbound method as expected.  In the latter case, we ask the unbound
method object for an attribute which it doesn't have

Basically, classes define a __getattribute__ that looks something like::

     def __getattribute__(self, name):
         value = object.__getattribute__(self, name)
         if hasattr(value , '__get__'):
            return value .__get__(None, self)
         return value

For more information, read: