Newbi Q: What is a rational for strings not being lists in Python?

Dmitri O.Kondratiev dokondr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:05:36 EDT 2007

To clarify my point:
reverse()  is  a lucky one  - Python has variants of *this particular*
function both for lists and strings. Yet what about other list functions?
How in general, can I write a function that works  both on list and string
types? Both are sequences, right? Why string is not a subtype of a list
then?
The advantage of string being a list of elements, where element is a char is
that all list functions will work *without any modifications* on strings as
well as on other types of lists.
So, I am trying to understand: what is a rational for strings not being
lists in Python?

Thanks,
--
Dmitri O. Kondratiev