setuptools without unexpected downloads

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:00:27 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 11:00 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:11:24 -0300, <kyoso... at gmail.com> escribi?:
>
> > Holden indicates that VS2003 is the current compiler used for the
> > official Python distribution. Do you know how to use that program to
> > compile an exe?
>
> Open the program, press F1 and read the documentation provided by its
> vendor, Microsoft.

Sheesh! MS Documentation would take weeks and weeks to read, let alone
analyze and grok. I was hoping to avoid that, but it was my next step
if I hadn't received an answer.

> > I'm assuming the line "python setup.py bdist_wininst"
> > isn't sufficient since it was an answer to my somewhat naive question.
>
> Why not? As F.L. said, if the setup.py is properly built, doing so should
> compile and link all the required modules.
> Note that it's not *required* to use Visual Studio to compile Python
> extensions; any decent compiler would do [provided it links against the
> same RTL as used by VS]

F.L. also said to use "the same compilers as used for the python.org
core distribution" if possible.

> This recent blog post contains step-by-step instructions on using free
> tools to compile python extensions:
> <http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions>
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

I'll check out your link as well as Max's though. I'm not averse to
doing it open source.

Mike