Starting a thread before wxPython bootup ... interesting.

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:54:07 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Shafik <shafik23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies for not supplying more info, I am at work and I am
> technically not allowed to surf the web for anything.
>
> I am using Python 2.5.1,  the latest wx version (2.8.xx, I dont recall
> exactly). This is running under windows XP under the latest version of
> cygwin (that could be the source of the issues too).
>
> I was just looking for a general way to approach wx and
> multithreading, not a detailed solution to my problem. There are lots
> of tutorials online that describe how to perform a time-consuming task
> in a separate thread in a wx-gui, but nothing that describes any other
> use cases.

The general way to approach wx and multithreading is to just do it. In
the general case, the only caveat you need to be aware of is that wx
is not threadsafe and all GUI calls need to called from the main
thread.

> The real goal is to start the gui in a different thread, and have the
> main thread regain control. That seems like a feasible thing to be
> able to do, though I have been unsuccessful ... if anyone would like
> to suggest something without being covertly insulting, I'm all ears.

If you're not going to say what you did and how it didn't work, I
don't know how you expect anyone to help you.