module confusion

Fri Oct 5 11:48:25 EDT 2007

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:37:34 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:12:33 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>>> This is somewhat odd, because most modules aren't exposed that way.
>>> They are either in their own file and accessed by importing them
>>> directly, or they are inside a package.
>>
>> Any time you say:
>>
>> import parrot
>>

>> in one of your modules, you export parrot to anything that
>
> subsequently

Well obviously you have to write the module before people import it. I
didn't really think "you must obey the laws of time and space" needed to
be explained.

>> imports your
>> module. (Unless you take specific steps to prevent it, for instance
>> with del parrot.)
>
> or the creation of an __all__ containing an exclusive list of names for
> export.

No.

__all__ only effects names imported with "from module import *", it has
no effect on "import module".

What was that again about avoiding "writing anything that will be
misconstrued by newless cloobs unfortunate enough to reach this thread as
a result of a search for meaningful information on Python imports"?

--
Steven.