Distributed RVS, Darcs, tech love

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 03:24:09 EDT 2007

On 21 Okt., 19:34, Joachim Durchholz <j... at durchholz.org> wrote:

> These are small detractions from a large overall contribution.
> In particular, I find llothars characterization of TeX wrong: it is one
> of the least buggy typesetting programs ever written (not a small feat),
> and it *still* produces output that is as least as good as what other
> programs do, and in fact better than the vast majority.

Acording to the Legend Of The Great Knuth ( derived from personal
confessions ) Knuth used a "Clean Room" approach. He specified and
verified the entire program before he started hacking it into the
machine. The result is accordingly. What has changed since then is
computer power and easeness of tool usage. One would rather use an
incremental approach today and specify + hack + test the program in
tiny pieces without struggling too much with the programming
equipment. So it also just incrementally improves.